SSi Tuning Forum - Ford / GM / Chrysler

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Author Topic: Help what went wrong???????  (Read 725 times)

dfinkler

• Welcome to the SSi Tuning Forums!
Help what went wrong???????
« on: December 03, 2016, 01:40:30 PM »

2014 F150 Ecoboost Gap the spark plugs at .026 and clean the sensor and cleaned out the intercooler. intercooler was very clean with just a little bit of oil in it no condensation everything looked great.  Clean the inner cooler with some carb cleaner.  Install the new plugs change the oil and install the tune.  Drove for 5 miles noticed we heard detonation brought the truck back all the spark plugs were white and the driver side rear spark plug is caked with oil. Very Lean with  91 octane with no ethanol gas in it.  Returned the tune to stock installed the old spark plugs and drove it for another 5 miles and started to spit in sputter pulled out the spark plugs driver side rear again was caked with oil .  Now the truck is at the dealership ?  Any ideas how could a tune do this to a truck ?

BustedKnuckles

• SSi 5150 Club
  • Persistence wears down resistance
Re: Help what went wrong???????
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2016, 11:35:02 PM »

Sorry to hear you are having troubles. How many miles on the truck? What tune are you running? Exact file name. You said you cleaned the senor, Ecoboost 3.5 has 3 MAP sensors. I am going to assume you are running the proper tune that is written for the octane you are running in your tank. You put back in the original plugs and ran like shit. Where they hard to remove? Possibly one cracked during removal not necessarily obvious to the naked eye. I would hope the detonation was not very loud and obvious and was not in the throttle very long. As soon as I heard that would have pulled over and put it back to stock immediately which I hope you did before bringing to the dealership. Keep in mind that a custom tune will bring out any hidden problems a truck might have in stock form. Trying to add another 100 hp or so can take a toll on a truck. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Is your fuel pump able to hold up to the fueling demand? Low fuel pressure will no doubt give detonation. If your driver side rear plug is caked in oil then that is a good possibility a piston ring has been bent or broken causing blow by in that cylinder or even cracked a piston.
   That's good you cleaned out the intercooler  I hope all the carb cleaner was able to drain out and evaporate before re-installing. If you are having problems then call the man. Also where the new plugs you where running have any black specs on the porcelain? A lot of possibilities out there to go wrong when being custom tunes by the best. This is a two part transaction for the tuner and the customer. Truck has to be in tip top shape no stone left un turned in maintenance. Please forgive me if I seem direct, just making sure you are  sure there wasn't a potential problem before.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 11:13:03 AM by BustedKnuckles »
14 5.0 Screw  SSi4TrumpX

bigredtruck

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 10:09:29 AM »

2014 F150 Ecoboost Gap the spark plugs at .026 and clean the sensor and cleaned out the intercooler. intercooler was very clean with just a little bit of oil in it no condensation everything looked great.  Clean the inner cooler with some carb cleaner.  Install the new plugs change the oil and install the tune.  Drove for 5 miles noticed we heard detonation brought the truck back all the spark plugs were white and the driver side rear spark plug is caked with oil. Very Lean with  91 octane with no ethanol gas in it.  Returned the tune to stock installed the old spark plugs and drove it for another 5 miles and started to spit in sputter pulled out the spark plugs driver side rear again was caked with oil .  Now the truck is at the dealership ?  Any ideas how could a tune do this to a truck ?

Did you check the compression. The truth about hearing detonation is when you hear it it has already been going on prior to your ear picking it up. I would have checked the compression but my thought is that the hearing detonation has resulted in a not so good outcome for your piston. Again a lot of variables as what your definition and my definition of detonation and how bad is could be way different. Any is bad period. The carb cleaner I am assuming the intercooler sat a while prior to start and also if not you could have had it trapped in the rows. But it would take a great deal to really cause an issue like this. And again I am assuming you started the engine and allowed it to run a bit prior to going out and running it hard after this. Just my opinion here. Wait and see what the dealer has to report if they even take the engine down. I do not know if they are just replacing them like they were in the past.

tstoffel

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 09:23:24 PM »

Please keep us posted. Doesn't sound good...at all.