SSi Tuning Forum - Ford / GM / Chrysler

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Author Topic: Explorer Sport Downshift problems  (Read 1017 times)

z284pwr

• Welcome to the SSi Tuning Forums!
Explorer Sport Downshift problems
« on: January 07, 2017, 03:24:32 PM »

I know the majority of the user base here is for the F-150s so not too sure how much the Explorer relates but thought I would see if anyone has some ideas on what I could check or what datalog parameters may help with diagnosing a problem.

Had the SSi tune for about a year now on our '13 Explorer Sport.  First few tune revisions were spot on and had zero issues.  Unfortunately it seems to have gotten worse after the last two revisions and not sure what to account the problem too.  Vehicle is driven about 85% city driving and has gotten to where the downshift to first gear coming to a stop is extremely harsh.  It only happens on the tune as I have been using the stock tune for about two months now and it has been flawless. 

Current tune is an SSi1/2TNP that has a shift tune based off a TS2 but with high upshift pressures.  Last I talked to Sean he mentioned the downshift tune should be stock so I'm not too sure whats causing the problem.  I have done the standard KAM resets, reflash and what not.  After running the stock tune the downshifts will be pretty decent but after a week or two it get worse and worse and a KAM reset doesn't seem to have any effect nor does flashing another tune. 

I have confirmed the strategy code is correct, trans fluid looks good and full.

As a side note, on the tune it also seems to regularly miss the 1st to 2nd gear shift at WOT and just bounces off the rev limiter until letting of the throttle.  This also isn't present on the stock tune as it hit the shift every time.

Only mods are a 3 bar MAP and an intake.

cirt063

• Administrator
  • Lurking in the background.
Re: Explorer Sport Downshift problems
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 03:37:13 PM »

"Crisco"

2011 F150 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 5.0, 3:73's, 170 T-Stat, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Morimoto XB LED Fogs
2014 F150 XLT SuperCab 4X4, Eco, bone stock. 2014 Escape Titanium Eco.

z284pwr

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 03:54:45 PM »

Have you opened a ticket? http://southernspeedinc.com/open-ticket/

Yes I have, once at the end of November and once again at the end of December and never heard back.

I just asked to revert to a baseline TS2 type shift tune just to have a base transmission tune to make sure none of the previous adjustments would be causing the problem.  Also to lower the WOT shift RPMs just to see if it will shift before hitting the rev limiter.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 03:57:25 PM by z284pwr »

prestige.brian1

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 05:39:32 PM »

I have same exact problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cirt063

• Administrator
  • Lurking in the background.
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 09:30:40 PM »

Have either of you called Shawn?
"Crisco"

2011 F150 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 5.0, 3:73's, 170 T-Stat, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Morimoto XB LED Fogs
2014 F150 XLT SuperCab 4X4, Eco, bone stock. 2014 Escape Titanium Eco.

z284pwr

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 03:38:07 AM »

Have either of you called Shawn?
I have yes.  It was just before the ticket system began though. He just asked for a better description in an email and I never heard back from that email.  Since it's been snowing and I've had the stock one in it I hadn't been too worried about at the time.

BustedKnuckles

• SSi 5150 Club
  • Persistence wears down resistance
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2017, 05:59:22 AM »

Not sure on the hard down shift unless possible shift seliniod problem if stock or tuned. That's just a guess. Have you tried raising your rev limiter, not sure where the bouncing commences on your rig when tuned might be too low. Could be a starting point. My first assumption was to perform a TPS reset if been awhile. Worth a doing if haven't lately.
14 5.0 Screw  SSi4TrumpX

prestige.brian1

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2017, 07:12:46 AM »

I talked to Shawn I just assumed since my explorer has 40k miles that I need to change tranny fluid and maybe the pto would help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

z284pwr

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 04:13:09 PM »

Not sure on the hard down shift unless possible shift seliniod problem if stock or tuned. That's just a guess. Have you tried raising your rev limiter, not sure where the bouncing commences on your rig when tuned might be too low. Could be a starting point. My first assumption was to perform a TPS reset if been awhile. Worth a doing if haven't lately.
Mine only downshifts hard on the tune.  Stock is 100% normal downshifting after 2 months it hasn't once been harsh.  If flash the tune and do a KAM reset/TPS reset it will usually be good for a few days then slowly get worse and worse over the next week or so until it's just about every stop it does it.  Doing another KAM/TPS reset after it has become hard doesn't seem to have any effect/change.

The X4 shows the rev limiter for the tune to be 6200 and it hits it almost every time and doesn't just bounce it once or twice, it will do it several times until I let off the throttle.  I'm not entirely sure on what is a safe RPM for these engines so I'm not sure what would be safe to set it to for testing.

BustedKnuckles

• SSi 5150 Club
  • Persistence wears down resistance
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 04:53:26 AM »

Prior to changing the fluid run some Sea Foam trans fix I believe it's called. Good product to clean out any varnish and deposit buildup then change. As for wot rpm 6500 would be safe for the 3.5. there's trucks turning that, no reason to go be beyond that and that's not on an overly aggressive tune. You can try taking the shift pressures down.  I'm not sure if that affects only upshift pressure or both. I'm just throwing out ideas.
14 5.0 Screw  SSi4TrumpX