SSi Tuning Forum - Ford / GM / Chrysler

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Author Topic: O2 Sensor Graphing and Torque Questions  (Read 412 times)

maplelakeduckslayer

• Administrator
O2 Sensor Graphing and Torque Questions
« on: March 25, 2017, 11:27:51 PM »

So I happened to revert back to the sct 87 tune last weekend, and decided to look at torque for the first time in quite a while. You can graph O2 sensor function on there now...I don't remember being able to do that originally.

Anyways, first question. I can only see readings from sensor 2 on both banks. Anybody know if it's an issue with torque? I used to be able to see readings from both front and rear sensors. Otherwise maybe there's a problem with my front o2's not having power?

Now I know the rear sensors should stay fairly steady voltage if everything is working correctly. Passenger side stays fairly consistent in mid voltage range, a little bit of up and down but no big ups or downs so seems that side is doing pretty good.

Driver's side is acting weird. At idle in park it is constant...But at a very low voltage. If I move the shifter to drive with my foot on the brake....It begins moving up and down from mid to low voltage. Not sure why putting into drive would make it act differently?

I know all of this stuff is connected with the truck not running correctly, I just can't put the pieces together. I've documented the high idle in cold weather that goes away over approx 30 degrees. I wish I would have looked at the o2's then but didn't even know that function was on torque at the time.

Anybody have any ideas? Appears driver's side is running lean from what I can tell, since it shouldn't be a a constant low voltage at idle and it shouldn't bounce low to mid voltage while in drive
I like Aunt Jemima's snatch, the chocolate tip, and meat in my mouth.

BustedKnuckles

• SSi 5150 Club
  • Persistence wears down resistance
Re: O2 Sensor Graphing and Torque Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 12:05:09 AM »

I haven't used torque much so I'm not sure about it's functions. You might be on to something about the O2's. They have to detect also the temperature of the air. If faulty the ECU won't be able to calculate the proper air fuel ratio. Have you changed them before?, as many miles as you have. Probably time to replace all of them. If you do not want to just throw parts at it you can take it to a shop for an O2 sensor test and go from there.
14 5.0 Screw  SSi4TrumpX

maplelakeduckslayer

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 12:39:30 AM »

Yeah I did replace both of the front ones like 2 years ago cause one bank threw a code. Been so long since I hooked the laptop up to the truck I forgot if you can monitor o2's on the sct software haha. Might putz around with that some tomorrow

dickfish

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 12:44:29 PM »

what are you actually trying to monitor? I'm kinda confused. For AFR you should be concerned with your primary O2s which  are wideband. The secondary O2s are likely only for cat efficiency monitoring and possibly long term fuel trims, but I'm not 100% on the second part.

Do you have cats?
You should run the stock tune and see if you get a secondary O2 code.
2015 F150 XLT FX4 EcoBeast- stock for now...

maplelakeduckslayer

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2017, 12:56:09 PM »

I tore the cats out a year ago. Yeah the rears are just for monitoring catalyst efficiency, but I think they still tell part of the story even without cats if one is fairly consistent in mid voltage and one flat lines low voltage? Seems one bank is running optimally even without the cats and one isn't.

I'd really like to look at the primary ones, I redowloaded livelink to my new laptop and going to try and mess with it today some. I guess that was one of the main questions was if anyone knew if torque has an issue reading front o2s cause those are the ones I really want to look at and see if what those are doing is causing the engine to run a certain way and why I'm getting poor readings from the rear O2.

dickfish

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 01:35:45 PM »

This is not really relevant, but with Audi logging software you can tell the age of the O2s and actually run a self test to make sure they read within tolerance.

I asked about the cats because I thought maybe one was clogged, guess not.
2015 F150 XLT FX4 EcoBeast- stock for now...

maplelakeduckslayer

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 01:39:38 PM »

I thought they were clogged too that's why I sawzalled them out haha. Working on getting my laptop hooked up to the truck again right now

maplelakeduckslayer

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 04:24:07 PM »

Went to stock to update device and one part won't update so scared to load any tunes til I hear back from sct if it's an issue, so to be continued I guess. Keep messing with it