SSi Tuning Forum - Ford / GM / Chrysler

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Author Topic: HELP! Loss of boost!?  (Read 423 times)

phatboy07

HELP! Loss of boost!?
« on: July 27, 2017, 11:08:28 AM »

Hi guys. I'm outta town on a little vacation and I have for some reason lost some power. Truck is tuned with an older version of shawns 91 octane tow tune and has run flawlessly for 90'000 km tuned (100,000 km on truck) . I was cruising through the mountains yesterday and all of a sudden I lost big time power. No shudder no jerking no other issues or sounds I could hear. I could see on my sct live wire that I wasn't making full boost. Truck still made some boost and enough power to move but not much (could still drive it up a hill without downshifting to the very lowest gear). I put the truck back to stock and it seems to run ok and normal in stock form ...albeit maybe sluggish down low (a rarely drive it in stock form). Fuel mileage is good and it shows top boost of 14 psi in stock tune. No other problems I can hear or feel. I have my intercooler drilled, plugs are good and gapped nicely, sensors recently cleaned although I will clean again if I can find the proper tools. truck ran like a raped ape for the first half of our trip in the mountains until coming back now. Fuel is always good. What are some things I could check myself to see what the issue may be?  I am not new to this truck tuned as I have been running it for 90,000 km tuned... ours there be a boost leak that only shows when the truck tries to make  lost tuned? can't stand this thing in stock tune....HELP! 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 11:12:17 AM by phatboy07 »

cirt063

• Administrator
  • Lurking in the background.
Re: HELP! Loss of boost!?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2017, 09:12:53 PM »

Tear in the blow-off valve diaphragm. Boost leak.
"Crisco"

2011 F150 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 5.0, 3:73's, 170 T-Stat, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Morimoto XB LED Fogs
2014 F150 XLT SuperCab 4X4, Eco, bone stock. 2014 Escape Titanium Eco.

maplelakeduckslayer

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 08:50:49 PM »

Could also check the pipe connections at the intercooler, I once found on my truck that during high boost one was sliding off the connection, but not all the way.it would just slide off, then slide back on
I like Aunt Jemima's snatch, the chocolate tip, and meat in my mouth.

phatboy07

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 12:05:13 AM »

So I took it to Ford because my warranty is almost up...like in 400km up lol. I Told them what the issues were even though I have it stock now and it seems to be running ok except a little sluggish around the neighborhood. So Ford gets back to me and they ask if I have heard any rattle like noises on start up, I say Yup a few times.. (I haven't really heard anything that I thought was of any importance but I said yes anyway lol). They tell me I need a new timing chain...all under warranty...So im like ya ok sounds good. The problem is I don't think this is what my main issue is so I will have to investigate it further when I get some time off...Im leaning towards blow off valve diaphragm. Regardless I am getting a new timing chain and whatever else the TSP for that work goes with. Has anyone here had this done and what if I should ask them to change anything else out while they are balls deep in my engine?

maplelakeduckslayer

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 12:33:12 AM »

Can phasers. There's a tsb for startup rattle that only replaced the chain, and one that does chain and phasers. Do the phasers too if they are willing

phatboy07

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 07:31:11 AM »

Its the latest TSB so it has the cam phasers...pretty sure anyway lol.

phatboy07

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 04:48:51 AM »

Swapped out my BOV...it was torn. Back to full powe...Ford is still going to change my timing chain. Whatever...im not paying for it. It is kind of frustrating though because I specifically said to check the BOV...obviously they didn't.

maplelakeduckslayer

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 09:34:28 AM »

Good news, I have been wondering about replacing mine because it sounds like my truck almost feels the same.