SSi Tuning Forum - Ford / GM / Chrysler

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search

News:

Author Topic: P2098 CEL on '13 F-150 Ecoboost... HELP  (Read 412 times)

Stumpy

• Welcome to the SSi Tuning Forums!
P2098 CEL on '13 F-150 Ecoboost... HELP
« on: December 17, 2017, 04:29:36 PM »

Hey guys.... Long time lurker and I've scoured many forums already but I can't seem to figure out what's going on with my EB. 

I just bought a 2013 F-150 EB Platinum and on my home after I bought it, it threw a P2098 (Bank 2 Post Cat Trim Lean) right after I filled it up with some 93 octane.  Called the dealer I bought it from and he had never seen a code on this truck, he thought it was just a bad O2 sensors.

Had my shop check it out and I had a warped driver's side manifold, so we thought that might be playing with it... Got the exhaust leak fixed up, code still there.  Shop said the O2 sensors looked good and all 4 read when I monitor them with my BlueDriver OBDII reader.  Ran it down to 1/4 tank and filled it up with 87 octane... Code still popping up 2 trips after I clear it.  Long term fuel trim on bank 2 is ~-17% whereas bank 1 is only running ~3%.  I've been driving it like an old man and cannot get over 14mpgs.

I'm 99% sure the truck has a solo offroad downpipe (has the angled resonators) and it had an SSI tune on it (not sure which vintage).  So, should it even be popping this code since the tune should've turned off the downstream O2 sensors?  Would the upstream O2 sensor trip it too?  Any other thoughts?  Also, is there any way to tell which SSI tune is on this truck? 

Sorry for the long post and many questions, but I appreciate any insight or comments from y'all!

Many thanks!

maplelakeduckslayer

• Administrator
Re: P2098 CEL on '13 F-150 Ecoboost... HELP
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2017, 04:36:40 PM »

Did you receive the programmer with the truck? Kinda odd if they left it tuned and didn't give you the programmer, most of the time people will return the truck to stock before they sell the truck, otherwise their programming device is locked and can't be used on a different vehicle
I like Aunt Jemima's snatch, the chocolate tip, and meat in my mouth.

Stumpy

• Welcome to the SSi Tuning Forums!
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 04:43:11 PM »

No programmer... It's a prior salvage truck, so I'm just starting to figure out what's all on this thing.  I'm almost positive it has an SSI tune since the logo was splashed as the wallpaper, and it's definitely a bit more spunky than a stocker.

I'm leaning towards just re-tuning it and seeing if that takes care of it, but the guy that rebuilt it drove it for quite a while and said he never once had a CEL pop up.

cirt063

• Administrator
  • Lurking in the background.
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 08:00:54 PM »

I wonder if it just has another tune in it without the O2 sensors turned off.
"Crisco"

2011 F150 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 5.0, 3:73's, 170 T-Stat, Bilstein 5100 Shocks, Morimoto XB LED Fogs
2014 F150 XLT SuperCab 4X4, Eco, bone stock. 2014 Escape Titanium Eco.

Bruce Sears

• Administrator
  • Mean old bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 04:41:00 PM »

If it has an SSI tune in it the second O2 sensors are turned off.  It could have a bad primary O2 sensor on one side.
2017 Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost 4x4, 3.31 gears.  Fully loaded.  LineX bedliner, Retrax bedcover.